Friday 29 August 2008

And Now... The End Is Near....

So that's it.

Unless I manage a trip to the Speigeltent before it packs up and leaves my experiences of the Edinburgh Festival are over for this year!

As well as all the shows I have reviewed I also saw quite a few acts at the Fettes Jazz Festival whilst working there. Despite my lack of interest in Jazz I enjoyed most of the shows - the musicians are undoubtedly the most talented I've seen live (with the exception of the Rolling Stones and the Stereophonics). But given my involvement I would still be competely baised, so I've decided not to review any of them.

I will say that Nikki King was great and I'll be making sure I get my Mum along to see her next year, because it's exactly the sort of thing she'd like. The venue is also awesome. Check out www.fettesthevenue.com and click in Jazz Festival.

Away from that, there were two big talking points at the start of the Fringe.

The first was all about the "Big Four" venues clubbing together to do a bit of marketing and they managed to rub a few people up the wrong way by calling themselves the "Edinburgh Comedy Festival".

The second was the ticketing chaos.

I didn't have too many problems with ticketing when I was buying tickets, mainly due to the fact that I prefer to go and see random stuff and only decide 10 minutes before the show is due to start.

But from what I heard from performers and promoters, the Fringe Office was a shambles and they really need to get their act together for next year.

I see the head honcho of the Fringe has resigned in order to "Spent more time working more closely with the artists". Don't get too close mate. You might get a pair of size 12 Doc Martins in the spuds if you come across someone who's show you bankrupted!

In a way I think it also vindicated the "Big Four's" decision to club together. They're still millions of miles away from a monopoly and I didn't notice much of a change this year in the atmosphere at the Fringe.

I always tend to hang out at the Pleasance and will continue to do so, because quite simply it's the best place to be during the Festival. I really don't care how they advertise and who they club together with.

Well, this'll be my last blog for a while. I don't have the discipline to keep a blog going all year round, which is why a Fringe blog is perfect for me.

I have no idea how many people read it because we don't have view counters, but I hope it's been a help and I look forward to doing it all over again next year!

Peace!

Colin

No comments: